Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, February 23, 2011

When's the last time you went wahoo?


The other day I had popped over to the Adventures of Tartanscot, a blog that I check out regularly, and he had a post that mentioned Joe vs the Volcano, a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie from several years back. Um... not just "several" years.... it was from 1990 .. egads! Anyways, there was a comment that wasn't just the usual, so of course I linked over to check it out. Reading that blog lead me to post a comment affirming a few of my favourite movies, which included a Meg Ryan and Tim Robbins film called IQ. This is one of those movies from the 90s that I have on VHS... but don't yet have on DVD. It is not your average, everyday romantic comedy, and... I had forgotten how much I liked it.

A fresh faced Tim Robbins and effervescent Meg Ryan are the main characters along with Walter Mathau brilliantly playing Uncle Albert... Albert Einstein. The show, however, is stolen by Einstein's three goofball genius friends, their antics and dialogue as well as by the way their scenes  were shot and edited.

Here's a few lines for a taste:

When's the last time you went wahoo?

Where were you?  Thinking.  I was worried about you... That I was thinking?

Zis is what we miss in physics.... screaming.

To atoms... those sexy little kinkies.

Don’t let your brain interfere with your heart.

Everything affects everything.

Because I'd rather be an optimist and a fool than a pessimist and right.


What else can I say... this is a great movie. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It certainly is a great movie Spockgirl and you're right about Einstein's three friends they are priceless.
Having Einstein as a matchmaker for the Tim Robbins and Meg Ryan characters shouldn't really work but it does, helped by Walter Matthau's wonderful acting.
I'm glad my comment revived your admiration for I.Q..... I think I'm gonna watch this one again this weekend :)

Ralphd00d said...

Funny this came up. I was looking through movies at Netflix for the InstantWatch, and this one came up as a recommendation for me in the 'Previously Watched" catagory. I remembered watching it years ago on some cable channel. I added it to my queue to watch some other time. Maybe I will watch it later today now - I don't remember the friends parts. Thanks!

Spockgirl said...

Paul:
Funny thing... I think I have more movies on VHS than DVD, but because I have them stored in a separate cabinet, sometimes I forget about them, even the ones I really like.

Now I'm thinking French Kiss will be next, which I actually DO have on DVD as well as video oddly enough. Great writing in that one as well.

And... thanks for the nudge to my movie memories.

Spockgirl said...

Ralphd00d:
There goes the "interrelated structure of reality" again. Hope it makes you smile or laugh as much as it did me.