Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

Southern sunrise...



We have had major rain and heavy winds gusting up to 70 kmh, so for a bright Sunday morning I have chosen a picture I took four days ago of our mid-winter southern sunrise.

When I was trying to come up with a title for this photo, I was struck with something rather interesting. At certain times of the year, this place can have more than one sunrise. How is this possible? Well... I'm not talking about the official darkness to dawn sunrise, I was thinking about the mere act of the sun rising over the yonder horizon. Being surrounded by mountains creates a unique path for the sun. It may rise over the mountains in the East, but then sets behind the mountains in the South, to rise again before travelling West where it may rise once more and set twice. 

I had to think about that last sentence for a minute before concluding it was correct.

No comments: