Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tactile Human Contact....



I sit here cross-legged, with my head in my hands staring at the keyboard, my fingers touching at the top of my forehead and my thumbs resting just under my cheekbones. I can hear the wind rising outside and moaning softly through the window as a cold breath rests upon the back of my neck. I can hear the furnace kick in and a moment later I can feel the tepid air rise up beside me. Then for a moment everything fades away to nothing, until the wind begins to rage and howl in protest to the silent calm. The wind rises and falls like the beating of my heart, and when it dies, I wait, listening intently. Sometimes it is the only way I know that I am still alive.

After having written the above and reading it over with a rather quizzical review, I thought of the little picture with the words "If I promise not to kill you, can I have a hug?". I would hazard a guess that if someone were to read what I wrote, they might get the impression that I need a hug. But, me being who I am...  I disagree. I have said on numerous occasions that I am not a "huggy" person, but I have come to the point in life where I will offer a hug to someone I know who needs one. I would say that the personal situation determines its necessity. I just came to realize that me receiving a hug would be like me accepting a form of pity, which I don't want or need.  Other people giving and receiving hugs is more of a need for tactile human contact... for comfort. I fully understand this, but I just don't require it. Of course though, there are people I know who just burst with the joyous need for hugs and ... well... those I accept with a smile because that is the way they are.

5 comments:

T1G said...

Never really was one for hugs, but I guess I'm changing a bit. Last trip home, I was getting huge hugs from almost everyone, and before I knew it... I was greeting some of THEM with a hug. And it actually felt RIGHT.

Stupid people... ;)

Spockgirl said...

T1G:
Crap... that means its contagious? No... you must just be going soft in your old age too.

T1G said...

I don't know. I don't think I'm broken, but I must be...

Harvey said...

I wasn't much of a hugger either until I started meeting my blogkids in person. It's not a tactile need so much as the only way I know to express the joy I feel at seeing them in person.

And yeah, if I met you, I'd go for the embrace. You're fun :-)

Spockgirl said...

Harvey:
I get that a lot... people just seem to want to hug me, even if they don't know me that well... Sort of like cats that are attracted to people who don't like cats.