Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hot Tub Time Machine

Movie Review:

I had held off watching Hot Tub Time Machine primarily because I knew what decade the guys ended up back in.  Everything that makes me shudder now at the thought of that time, is very well represented.  Everything...  the hair, bright colours, legwarmers, etc..., but it provided major laughs because of this. John Cusack... one of my favourite dudes from those days... still one of my favourites today after all these years, is not quite as totally charming as Lloyd Dobler in this one though. He seems to just chill beside the most unlikeable character in the mix, Lou, well-played by Rob Corddry, who has the best lines of the lot.  This was directed by Steve Pink, who, interestingly enough, wrote the screenplays for two other Cusack movies, Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity. It brought to mind an earlier film, from 1985, "Better Off Dead", which also involved skiing and Cusack's character being dumped by a girl named Jenny.
Yahoo link.

I have to say that my favourite lines are actually included in the trailer, and that the horror of the 80s was a smidge easier to swallow with little bits like this added:

A snippet from one of my guilty pleasures: The Safety Dance

An homage shot to Sixteen Candles

"Maybe the universe will bring us back together again. "

I am glad that I rented this to watch after "The Warlords", but I highly doubt I would watch it again. And... I found the ending to be a little... I don't know... lame? But... then again... isn't that what the end result of the 80s was?

2 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

Ahhh, another one waiting in my queue to watch. I am a sucker for this type of comedies, which is why I watch them when the Wife is not at home. She gets frustrated with the humor. Good review - makes me anxious for it to arrive.

Spockgirl said...

Ralphd00d:
From your comment and your blog, I am guessing that you will be watching the UNrated version.