Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, January 22, 2011

Friday Night Lights...


So... it is Friday night and as usual I am staying in. Just before 9pm I heard a bang, as if something had either hit the house, or fallen down inside. Within a minute or two, I heard a knock on the front door. Hmm... I knew it wasn't anyone I knew. I turned the outside light on and opened the door to find a girl in her late teens or early twenties... crying. I think I startled her.

"Some guy just threw my cell phone against your house, do you have a flashlight?"

"Oh, so that's what that sound was. Sure, I'll be right out." I grabbed the small flashlight which I keep handy and quickly looked for the bigger one, but with no luck. Put my shoes on and went outside and around the corner of the house with the girl. She pointed out to where she thought it should be and yes... there it was lying near the rosebush. The girl, still crying, picked up the two pieces and was trying to put it together. I was calm (scanning the area as well), and asked her a couple questions.

"Do you know this guy?"

"Yes, he's a friend of mine. He was drunk and he threw my phone against your house." (Hmmm.. she had originally said "some" guy.)"

"Were you driving with him?"

"No, he's around here somewhere... He went that way."

"Can you check to see if the phone works?"

"It lights up but I think he broke the screen."

"Can you make a call?"

"I don't know." (I was thinking, "Can you press the numbers without looking at the screen?") She tried again.

"Do you have someplace to go?"

"Yes I am going to his house." (Me: incredulous... wha?)

"Do you think you can call me a taxi?"

"Sure. Wait right here on the porch where there's light." I went inside... tried to remember one of the cab company numbers, but got it wrong.. Had to check the phonebook.... had to get the magnifying glass. When I told the cab company guy, it sounded like he was already headed this way, so I am thinking that the young girl had called for the cab BEFORE the guy had thrown the cell phone against the house. I went back outside to let her know the cab was on its way, just as he was pulling up.

Makes me wonder. Her "some guy" friend was drunk BEFORE 9pm... he got mad and threw her phone at my house and stormed off.... MADE HER CRY ... AND she was STILL going to go to his house.

Yup.... that is about exciting as my life gets. I'm just glad he didn't throw it higher as it probably would have smashed a window. I have really old windows... single pane glass, the kind that shatter when struck by projectiles.

6 comments:

Big Sister said...

Just wondering what happened to the drunk guy "around there somewhere". Hope the female wasn't a distraction whilst the guy was casing your premise...

and I thought you'd be having a quiet evening updating your blog.

Spockgirl said...

Please read the piece carefully. I said "I was calm (scanning the area as well)." I have also told you previously that if you lived in this area, you would be so freaked out at every thing. I had already analyzed and assessed the situation in my head as soon as she finished her first sentence on the porch.

Jeanie said...

hmmmm~interesting. I am glad you were wary. My line of thought was along the same lines as Big Sister. Wonder what the young lady would have done if you hadn't answered the door? People can be so strange~way too much drama!

Spockgirl said...

J:
Yes, I am always wary, but not paranoid. I actually got the distinct impression that even though she was crying, it was NOT because she was frightened. She was not panicking. She was clearly more upset about her cell phone, and NOT her safety. So... yes... drama, drama, drama.

Over the years there have been times when I have had to made quick assessments, and ask myself "Can I take that person down if I have to?" Usually drunks or crackheads.

Big Sister said...

FYI: I did read the piece carefully... I know you would have "assessed and analyzed", but was thinking about you seeing into the darkness and how far the radar works, Bat Girl.

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis:
Ah... You must first understand the concept OF radar... and bats. Bat Girl indeed. Also helps that my spidey senses were ON.