Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, January 2, 2011

Double Chocolate Stout Cake



I have this habit where if I know there was a certain food or drink that I didn't like at some point during my life, I will try it again every once in a while to see if my tastes have changed. I do think this a good idea, simply for the fact that it does keep one open TO change. Upon further introspection, I do this for music as well. What it comes down to is that if I have a personal opinion about something, it is not a judgment... it is not final... there is always a possibility that something can change. I stand firm, but I keep an open mind.

So last night, having in my possession two drinks that I don't particularly like... one being Guinness and the other being Eggnog, I tried both again to see if my tastes had been somehow altered over time. That would be a firm... no. Both were still gross. So.... I decided, as I often do, to MIX the two together, and surprisingly enough, it was better that way. Smooth, creamy, not bitter, not sickly sweet... just right.

Interesting to note that there are actually instructions on the can as to "how to" drink the Guinness. Needless to say I did not follow them, as I knew that I would not be drinking the whole thing. So today after putting away Christmas decorations and tidying up, I actually sat down and referred back to some chocolate recipes I had been looking at and decided to make use of the remaining Guinness in a Double Chocolate Stout Cake. I had to modify the recipe slightly, as I usually do... I didn't quite have enough stout left, so I reduced a little on some of the other ingredients, and used a 70% dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet. (On a side note, I have mentioned before that there are some things that I just cannot smell, but as the cake was baking, I could smell the chocolate-y-ness escaping, like when you can smell freshly brewed coffee, but only better.)

The cake was left to cool on the stove-top and I was tempted to try a piece while it was warm, but I was invited to dinner and had to wait til after. I got back from dinner and decided that I should take some pictures, even though I had not prepared the glaze to drizzle down the sides. After taking the photos, I took a slice and had a bite. Deep, rich, moist chocolate not quite cake cake, not too heavy, ... somewhere closer kin to cake than souffle. But... another bite had the slight crisp edge... each bite after a different texture.  It was the kind of chocolate goodness that you cannot help but close your eyes to enjoy. The kind that requires a glass of ice cold milk.  And it was good.

8 comments:

thormoo said...

It's sounds yummy, delightful...yet somewhat decadent as well. Hmmm...I may have to give that a try though I am trying to cut out the cake for awhile...

Spockgirl said...

Thormoo:
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
I don't "do" cake or alcohol very often, so when I do, it had better be a tasty, worthwhile experience. And ... it was "somewhat decadent", but not over the top. The glass of milk really hit the spot.

Ralphd00d said...

I am one that cannot drink the eggnog straight either. I prefer a bit of Brandy in mine. Helps smooth out the taste (and ornery guests if you have enough cups).

Spockgirl said...

Ralphd00d:
The other thing I tried with eggnog was: I nuked it and mixed it with decaf. Since I don't drink coffee straight either, it was actually quite an improvement as well.
Technically I'm a non-drinker who does the occasional science experiment. That being said, the brandy blending sounds appealing, and now I am curious to know if many people have actually tried the Guinness and Eggnog mix.

Big Sister said...

This cake was REALLY yummy...and a little decadent, but what the heck. Unfortunately, I only had a sliver as a couple of gremlins inhaled the rest.

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis:
There's still some left.

T1G said...

Mmmmmmmmm.... Guinness, eggnog, and Guinness cake.

Not so certain about the Guinnog, though... ;)

Spockgirl said...

T1G:
Yeah... it was all good. Hmm... I like that term "Guinnog". You have to try it at some point. Consider it if you will, a better tasting rootbeer.