Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Damn Moon...


Considering how bloody tired I was yesterday, it is rather disconcerting that I could not sleep. Even more remarkable is how awake and alert I feel now after a rather generous two hour coma. I had finally fallen asleep sometime after dawn. In my fatigued state last night, I did something unusual in sharing a poem that I had just written. This prompts me to ask: When we are tired do we exhibit uncharacteristic behaviour? Do we say stupid things? Do we do stupid things? Do we begin to lose some of our inhibitions?  Are we more sensitive or less?

*****
When I checked my emails early this morning, of course there were none... who would have emailed me at that hour? After I signed out, one of the "news" items was the occurrence of a "lunar perigree", which I found out today, is when the Moon is at its closest orbital distance to the Earth. There are many interesting tangents one can go on when pondering or studying the Moon's effect on the Earth and her inhabitants, but I'll leave that alone for now. I am just hoping that the skies will clear and I will get to see the "extreme supermoon".

*****
When I struggled with sleep issues as a teenager, I know that I would often write or sketch or read into the wee small hours of the morning. The moon or the night itself was often a focal point of what I would write. I still feel that the stuff I wrote then and even now seems a tad hokey, so I haven't quite got the nerve to post anything more from the past. Speaking of hokey, a little while ago, I jokingly said to someone that I should write something in Dr. Seuss fashion, maybe called "I cannot sleep"... I am seriously considering doing that at some point, but the hardest part would be when I am in a fatigued enough state to write it, will I actually be able to remember to do it?

4 comments:

Harvey said...

I would LOVE to read "I Cannot Sleep".

Consider yourself officially dared to write and post it :-)

Spockgirl said...

Harvey:
I think it could be quite hilarious. I also thought it would be cool to do as a blogger collaboration. Of course, some would probably require liquid encouragement to do so.

Anonymous said...

I'd be up for a blogger collaboration although I'd probably need some liquid encouragemnt.
I also like the fact you used a picture from one of my favourite movies on this post!
Are you a fan of Joe Versus The Volcano too ?

Spockgirl said...

Paul:
It would be fun and I am still thinking about it.

When I was thinking of posting a photo of the moon, none of mine fit the bill... When I went looking for an image online, nothing worked... then I remembered the "moonrise" from Joe v the Volcano... I would have liked to have found the one that looks like he is actually holding up the moon.

So... yes, that is one of my faves as well... For some reason I always liked the beginning of the movie in particular, and it ended up having greater meaning to me years later after working twenty years in an office. This is one of the movies that I started to write my type of "review" on, but did not finish.