Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, July 17, 2011

Of lavender, poppies and dead roses...


I lost two Lavender plants this past winter, among a few other things. Luckily I still had three smaller ones that survived, which I could transplant in their places. The one pictured above is the one that was next to the ones that died. That beautiful pink flower, I found out last year, is a poppy, but of course, not like any of the single red poppies that grew wild here before. Once I figured out how to identify them by their leaves, they were allowed to run amok all over the garden.  I think the contrast between the colours and the foliage is almost stunning.

On a side note, two of the rose bushes which, to my great disappointment, I thought had died, apparently had not. They looked dead late into spring and I did not see any new growth on them, but... I left them there anyways. Perhaps being not hasty, with a little touch of lazy turned out to be a good thing... in that case. Both are doing well and one of them now has 3 or 4 blooms. I think I took great care in picking out the rose bushes to plant here, paying close attention to their winter hardiness. This particular rose is a delicate cream colour and has the most divine (for lack of a better word) fragrance... to me anyways.. I suppose because I can't typically smell all flowers. Below is a photo from last year June.


Whenever I post a photo of a flower, I try to remember to look up its meaning, or what it symbolizes, so today:

Lavender is a symbol of love and devotion. 
Poppies.. of eternal sleep, oblivion and imagination.
Cream Rose... charm, grace and thoughtfulness.

So... I love sleep, but I see the charm in oblivion. I hold dear the grace found in thoughtfulness and devotion, and leave the rest up to the imagination.

2 comments:

DaveO said...

You could add to your interpretation the resilience of the rose bushes.

If you take your 3 flowers and condense them into 1, you've got a lotus.

*yawn*

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
The standard quizzical expression exhibited in your direction.