Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, May 19, 2012

Underworld: Awakening...

Movie Review:
(Yes, it has been a while since I've done one of these.)


Wasnt too sure how this one would play out. What I found was a movie that was actually cut more like a comicbook or a really long trailer than a movie. It starts off with a prologue of fast little clips from the previous three movies to bring you up to date on the vampire/werewolf saga and then jumps into the new story immediately. It had such a fast pace that I didn't really have time to take note of that much of anything, good or bad, other than that the little girl reminded me of something from the Exorcist and that parts were reminiscent of two of the Blade movies.

The first installment of this series was rather slick and stylish, perhaps deliberate and focused in the telling out of necessity, but this one seems to have been made more for the short attention span. There seemed to be more blood and guts, more in your face violence, but not much fleshing out (so to speak). I suppose the major difference was that in this movie, it was Selene killing humans and not just Lycans. Speaking of Lycans, not to give anything away, but the only other actors I recognized were Stephen Rea, Charles Dance, and Sandrine Holt, and that the ending was left open for another sequel.

So, all in all, perhaps it might be lacking in substance, but it definitely makes up for it in speed. Or... maybe the substance IS there, but I just missed it because it went by too fast. Something I just realized is that Selene got to stick her hand into two chest cavities, one to save and one to kill. Lastly, despite the quick pace, one line caught my attention:

"My heart isn't cold... it is just broken."

2 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

This is one I do want to see as I have seen the others, and want to see where they go with it. Fortunately, I can wait for it to come out on DVD...

Spockgirl said...

I watched it on DVD... I think it has been out for a couple weeks. I am wondering now about Netflix... Is there much of a lagtime before it gets to Netflix?

On a sidenote: To me, a movie has to be pretty darn special to be seen in the theatre. Thor was one of them. Even though I was rather excited about the Avengers and would like to see it in a theatre, I'm not sure yet if I absolutely HAVE to.