Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, May 3, 2012

Well... I'll be...


Two days ago, at the behest of my one regular reader and commenter, I removed the word verification for posting comments. Lo and behold, this morning, I received my first Spam comment (that went directly to Spam) ... in Russian. I had a feeling that there was a Russian bot floating around here for a while, as there were days when there were more visits showing up from Russian traffic sources than from anywhere else. In all likelihood what will happen is that I will end up getting more Spam comments than real comments, which wouldn't be that hard to do, considering that this blog isn't really a high volume type of endeavour in the first place. I guess I'll wait and see, but so far we are 1 for 1.

6 comments:

thormoo said...

Dang it, that bums me out. In nearly 3 years of operating my blog without the Word-V I've never gotten spam...you have it off for 2 days and BOOM, there it is. You must be something really special, SG!

I'm sorry I asked and you were kind to remove it just because a cranky old blogger can't read the dang things cause he's going blind. Go ahead and re-install the darn thing...I would really hate for you to be inconvenienced!

Spockgirl said...

Ah... I don't get much traffic, so I could tell there was a "bot" of some sort trolling around. I'll leave the Word Verificadtion off for a while and see what happens, as I mentioned. And yeah, I have a really hard time discerning the letters in the words too because of my failing eyes, but I'm used to it, as it has been going on for over ten years now.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I have gotten sometime like 73 hits this week so far from Russia, but it only shows on Blogger's stats page, not on my other StatCounter. I turned off my word-V, but no actual spam comments (yet) that I know of.

Spockgirl said...

B:
Early on I seemed to be getting legit hits from Russia, but now it is definitely a bot. I clicked on the traffic source to a couple... one was a page that didn't exist. And yes, they show up in BloggerStats but not my Sitemeter, so I guess it isn't long enough to merit an actual "visit".

As for Spam comments, have you checked your Spam filter lately? I never used to check mine. Left sidebar, under Comments, Published, then Spam.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't checked it before, but just did. The only thing in it was a legitimate comment from Coffey, one of my "regulars". So good thing I checked!
I hope the spam doesn't start :o(

Spockgirl said...

Glad you checked too! Makes me wonder what exactly the Spam parameters are and why it would put his comment directly in there.