Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, May 28, 2012

Garden Peace

"Snowball" Viburnum


Was out in the yard for six hours on Saturday (beautiful, hot and sunny) and four on Sunday (sunny, cloudy, cooler), primarily weeding one of the garden beds and pruning back a rather overgrown climbing rosebush. I now have two and a half extra-large clear bags full of weeds, 90% of which are ... the damned... buttercups. This is the worst I've seen it it ten years. Of course, I could have made a pre-emptive strike in the fall and then in early spring, but I was rather neglectful in that regard. I only took a hardline stance on the dandelions as they spread their seed more efficiently. However, I think that perhaps the buttercups are slightly more insidious with their sneaky tentacles weaving through the grass and moss. Oh.. and I'm not done yet... I have four other garden beds to attack, the largest being about twenty feet long... but I think that is mostly long grass and clover that crept in.

I didn't get around to cutting any Lilacs to take in the house this year and they are practically done now for the season. The photo above is some "Snowball" Viburnum that I cut from the rather overflowing bush out front. They sort of look like Hydrangeas, but the petals and heads are much smaller and "fluffier".

Oh... and last year, I tried to pull out the pink and red Lupines before they went to seed, so that I would have just white and blue... The other day I noticed the Lupines blooming... What do I have? Mostly pink and red. Only one white and one blue... Go figure.

No comments: