Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This means war...

Sweet Woodruff flanked by the leaves of the white viola
as well as the encroacher.

I may have defeated the dandelions for now, but the war on buttercups is coming. I saw them lurking and spreading their spawn long before those dreaded happy yellow flowers started popping up... Oh.. and the garden beds have been infiltrated by... the grass.

Oh... and ... working in the yard again today, I killed my weeder. Somewhere in my yard there are now two screws lost to the far reaches of time. I guess that's what you get for spending only $9.99 on a garden tool. I should know better... that's what I paid for the snow shovel I bought a couple years ago and snapped the wooden handle off of. Sigh.

Speaking of killing things... I somehow managed to cause a bamboo plant I've had growing in the kitchen for five years or so to shrivel up and die. And ... a couple weeks ago, attacking either the bathroom sink or the bathtub drain, I did grievous damage to my plunger. I was happily plunging away and wondering to myself what the heck was going on... It wasn't working... I then realized that I had somehow ripped almost the entire cup from the part that is glued to the handle. The bathroom sink is clogged again, but on a positive note, the tub is draining just fine. It is an ongoing mystery. I still think it has something to do with the increased volume of water to the municipal drainage system caused by the car wash that opened up a hop, skip and a jump away from the house.

***

We've had two days in a row of almost 30 degree beautiful sunny weather. I did get burnt, but the yard looks pretty darn good. Next up... attacking the nefarious weeds and insidious grass that have almost overtaken the garden beds. It is tempting to just pull things out and start over again, if not for little things like this...


A new colour of variegated violet or viola has appeared. The tiny blue flowers are Forget Me Nots that I let run wild. You can also see the damned buttercup leaves in both pictures.

No comments: