Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, May 10, 2012

Convoluted...

is a good word choice here. Once again, struggling to say anything, but music brought me back.



One of the CDs I have in the player right now is Deconstructed by Bush. I had been listening to it when this song came up, and I was again captured by the words. I went agoogling and after a bit of searching, I found out that they hadn't written it. I went looking a bit more and came across the original. Now, I don't remember listening to that band back in school, but I knew that after the death of their leadman, the remaining members formed New Order. One of the songs I distinctly remember by them is True Faith. And ... tonight... I also found a live version by them as old farts.


Sitting here listening to these songs, I was once again transported and struck by the lyrics. In high school I listened mostly to "new wave" music with old stuff from the late 60s and early 70s thrown in. In the mid 80s metal crept in with Metallica, and sometime in the 90s, Korn came into play. It is interesting to see the lyrical transition from song to song tonight, and from a musical standpoint at different times in my life...

(I think this was the one Korn album tour that I had concert tickets for... but ... I never made it to.)

Oh... a little while back, I had started writing something about my somewhat symbiotic relationship with Korn.

symbiosis: 1. the living together in more or less intimate association or close union of two dissimilar organisms.

I meant to write a bit more on the matter, but my brain temporarily ceased to function, and that was all I could come up with. However, I did find a very cool live version of another song of theirs. The vocals are a little strained, but the percussive element is sweet.



A couple weeks ago, I took a listen to some of the songs on their latest album and for some reason, nothing really stood out and hit me. It is pretty bad when I can't remember any of the songs that I listened to at the time. I do recall however that it seemed a tad "experimental" again. This has got me to thinking now off on another tangent... I wonder if the music industry has become so ... saturated... yet watered down at the same time... with cookie cutter type music that there will never be anything more that stands out or sets a precedent. That no one new comes along to make their own footprint, but that everyone just follows in someone else's footsteps.

I went looking for some music that is popular today... okay... I'm going to say it... among young people. Upbeat, sweet... too sweet? Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez... I'll be honest... this stuff hurts my head. I was going to put some links up, but... I just can't make myself do it. My musical tastes are varied, but not that varied. If you find me dancing around to a Katy Perry song, you will know that something is very, very wrong.

No comments: