Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Underneath the Stars....


Was watching Ferris Bueller's Day off last night (prompted by this) and there was a song in the movie that was an instrumental version of something that I knew, but for the life of me I couldn't place. I had some of the words in my head, but still couldn't remember. Anyways, I finally did ascertain what it was and went looking for a link, and then it came to me that I had already posted it on the blog before. When I had gone agoogling for it, I found out that it was also on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack, which I thought I had, but when I went looking through the drawer of CD soundtracks ... nope ... not there. I have them in alphabetical order and so decided to grab a couple from the next row, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans and Virtuosity. I had forgotten what songs were on that Underworld soundtrack and was pleasantly surprised when I listened to it. So... I went agoogling and YouTubing to find some links. Along the way to the song I wanted to post originally, I came across a few more covers by one of my favourite bands, Deftones... Seriously... these guys must have listened to the same music as I did in high school. I was actually rather shocked to find a cover of a Sade song AND one by Depeche Mode. Here is the Deftones cover of Sade's "No Ordinary Love".


I'd written a little about the Deftones back here

Oh... almost forgot... One of the songs I originally went to look for was by the Cure. I hadn't really gotten into them that much early on, but their leadman Robert Smith definitely had a unique voice. I barely remember what he looked like back when I was in high school, but it is kind of funny watching a video of him/them performing live a few years ago. The song is "Underneath the Stars". Simple and beautiful, and his voice has held up well.



In my YouTube journey, I also found a talkshow interview he did following the release of the album on which that song appears. I just thought it was kind of cute, as he mentioned that the artwork on the album cover was actually pictures drawn by his nieces and nephews.

(Can you see my brain running around in the hamster wheel again?)

No comments: