Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, May 6, 2012

Retreat or withdraw


I was struggling on the comment thread of one of my posts, and it hit me pretty hard. As usual, my first response is to go on the defensive and put on my armour, and then after a few volleys... retreat. The impact was such that I was considering a complete withdrawal from blogging. There isn't much in life that has the power to do that. But... that is just how it has come to pass. Upon further reflection, I find that the thing that bothers me most is that my words could be taken to be so far from what my actual thoughts are. In trying to explain my position, it was seen as condemning or judging someone else, which was not my intent. The only person I judge is myself. 

I always knew that my inclination to withdraw is something that I picked up as a kid, but I didn't fully understand it until now. I also understand why I never shared my thoughts with anyone before.

4 comments:

thormoo said...

I sure hope you don't withdraw...and am pleased you're still here.

It is the downside to communication strictly through the written word, there is no facial expression, other non-verbal expression or tone of voice, etc. for a reader to put the comment in a proper context. it is easy to miss the true meaning of a post or comment.

It has happened to me, rather frequently and this latest episode has had me considering not withdrawing from blogging but definitely from making comments. I'm trying not to do that...

DaveO said...

Never retreat. Never withdraw. To the bitter end. And don't forget the popcorn this time. Dammit.

Spockgirl said...

T;
Keep doing what you are doing. It is all a learning process.

Spockgirl said...

D:
Thanks for your most thoughtful insight dude. As I said, much appreciated.