Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, August 1, 2011

Expect the worst, hope for the best...


Further to a discussion earlier today, I was prompted on my own accord, to examine my reasoning for saying something that I did, and the following is what I since determined:

I am predisposed to foresee and accept the probable negative outcome of any given situation in order that I not be disappointed if or when the predicted inevitable negative outcome occurs. 

It is not that I do not want to foresee a positive outcome, but that I can find no feasible reason to do so. 

In other words, if I accept the probability and/or inevitability of disappointment, then ultimately I can never be disappointed by a negative outcome.

So after having said that, I thought to myself that perhaps this is why I can't seem to write anything of substance on the blog as of late.  Perhaps I have been using up the requisite energy in the writing of emails.

8 comments:

thormoo said...

The last line of this post really made sense to me and actually provided me with a possible answer to some questions I was having about my energy level in post writing lately.

I have devoted time, energy and brain power (what little I have left!) to some other forms of writing lately: E-mails, a very long medical document, some business correspondence are but 3 good examples.

This is certainly impacted my post writing abilities and a major reason my latest blog entries have been short and in my opinion...not quite up to snuff.

Good stuff, SG...thank you.

Ralphd00d said...

Ahhh, my fellow Pessimist! Agreement came so readily, as I read this post. Though, of late, I cannot agree as to the reason of lack of content. My drivel has been, well, drivel. Maybe I should make some effort to provide better content.... Hmm, will think on that one.

DaveO said...

Any outcome is feasible, so long as one wishes to pay the price. But is the outcome reasonable?

Do you find your expectation for disappointment unreasonable, in light of so many positive, and encouraging comments from your online friends, and cheek from your online acquaintence, AKA moi?

Spockgirl said...

T:
I think the shorter posts in your situation are a clear indication that you aand other aspects of your life are growing, expanding and evolving.

Spockgirl said...

Ralphd00d:
Ah... see... I don't consider myself a Pessimist... but rather a Realist, or a pessimistic Optimist.

As for your writing lately? You just seem a tad more mellow.

Spockgirl said...

D:
Technically, I do not "expect" disappointment, I merely accept the probability of it occurring.

And yes, I agree that any outcome is feasible. What I said is that I can find no feasible reason to foresee a positive outcome. This allows one to accept and deal with a negative outcome in a more effective manner, should it occur, and... to feel greater pleasure should the result be positive.

DaveO said...

You didn't address whether the feasible is reasonable, or not.

The responses of "I agree that any outcome is feasible" and "I can find no feasible reason to foresee a positive outcome" cancel each other out.

If 'feasible' = possible, then 'reasonable' = probable.

Spockgirl said...

D:
Ah... I had a feeling you would bring that up.

And... I had a feeling you might see... or read it that way, but no, they do not cancel each other out. I have to find a better way to explain it.

Reasonable can only be equated to Probable in the sense that "probable" has many levels of variability.