Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Written Word...


The ability to convey ones thoughts, emotions and intentions so resolutely, so plainly, yet with so much underlying intensity is something not oft seen these days, and something that I hold in high esteem. It saddens me that this innate and learned ability may often remain hidden, latent, and unshared for fear by the bearer of ridicule or repercussions. It is a given that in times of great need or stress, this ability can manifest itself and there unfold the beauty of the written word.

Sadly, there may be an entire generation, mayhaps even two, that does not or will not know the construction or format of a letter, let alone how to write the sentences and paragraphs that comprise it. In this day and age of learning the English language phonetically, of not learning how to spell, of texting, text-based emoticons, IMs (Instant Messaging), abbreviated terms... all designed to make things easier... correspondence quicker...I fear that the written word has lost its value, its worth, its true meaning and intent, as it had come to be over time. At the other end of the spectrum where the written or spoken word is used as a tool, a weapon or a pointed finger, the same holds true as well. There too, the value and meaning have been lost  or sullied by those who have gained so much in knowledge, yet somehow fail to understand.

Hmm... I think I went a little bit farther than I thought I would with that thought. I just ran with it, but I have a feeling that I may have to revisit it when I can articulate it in a manner befitting its depth.

Now where was I? Ah... the beauty of the written word. This isn't something that just appeared out of thin air, but rather has been wafting in and out of my train of thought and in my journey here, since the beginning of same last year. Most recently, I read a beautiful letter written during the American Civil War, which you can find over here. I went agoogling for further information and from what I found, I recommend just listening to the letter being read aloud in this video.


I have previously mentioned on my blog a book titled "The Book of War Letters - 100 years of private Canadian correspondence", a collection that I highly recommend, but for which you need to take your time to read. Also, a short time ago on a blog I read regularly,  Shell Shock Serenade, some song lyrics and a video were posted, the latter in which there is a letter recited, which if I understand correctly is from  "Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam". In my search for information tonight, I find that there is both a book and a documentary.


YouTubeLink.

Go figure that in writing about the written word, I ended up using a conpletely different medium, audio/video, to impress my point. I have to wonder though, does it defeat the purpose or augment it?

2 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

I enjoyed both videos. As far as augmenting the post, or not? Well, due to the lowered literacy rate and levels in societies today, it is probably a better thing to have it in video format. At least they will hopefully be able to comprehend the message behind it....

Spockgirl said...

Ralphd00d:
Hmm... I just thought of something else. The written word stimulates both thought and emotion, whereas audio/video stimulates emotion, with the possibility of inducing thought. Granted it all depends on the viewer...