Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, August 11, 2011

Circle inside a sphere...


Earlier tonight as I was pondering the self-inflicted boundaries of this life, I thought to myself... I am a circle within a sphere. And... that is where the thought ended. So just now, as I was thinking about the relation between the circle and the sphere, something slightly more involved came to mind. If a circle sits just shy of flush within the confines of a sphere it can rotate within that sphere. Can a square of a size just shy of one side of a cube, do the same within the confines of the cube? So with that, I now wonder am I a circle within a sphere or a square within a cube?

This is one of those things that spews forth from the quietude of my mind and when I wake up, I will say ... wha?

11 comments:

DaveO said...

Without regard to whether you go round, or have cubist tendencies, you describe yourself as 2D existence within a 3D environment.

A circle describes the circumference of a sphere, giving it shape, yet it is flat. So too our friends square and cube.

Is your question now 'what is the difference between 2D and 3D in your life?' Or are placing value on the 2D?

Spockgirl said...

D:
My point exactly, except I am referring to the relationship of one within the other. You have to picture the basic geometry of it in your mind. Either you will have an "aha!" moment, or not. Oh, but said relationship is not necessarily me within my environment, but me within me.

DaveO said...

SG,

Given the esoterica of your post, perhaps my dimensional response wasn't quite there. More likely, I'm being dense. I was under the impression that you were 2D; and yet you are 3D as well. If you multiply 2D by 3D you get 6D, which is rather old by my standard. And the D is squared, so no sphericalist philosophies, please, lest we go round and round.

What then, is the difference between the fullness of you, and the plane of you? Mind? Memories? Or some disaffection?

Spockgirl said...

D:
Hmm... I am curious to know from whence you acquired your inquisitive nature as well as where you get all your energy from. (No need to answer... I"m just throwing that question out into the cosmos.)

I am either going around in circles, as the circle rotating within the sphere, or I am attempting to determine the correct juxtaposition of the square for movement within the cube.

DaveO said...

Have you studied Pythagorus? The pythagoroids allow for one to be square inside a cube inside a circle. Better than vanilla ice cream atop blackberry pi!

As for the your questions, I come by my inquisition circumspectly. I don't care for being a block-head.

Spockgirl said...

D:
I vaguely recall the Pythagorean Theory from long ago, but that is about it. I haven't studied much of anything in my lifetime, which makes me one of the uneducated masses. Sorry to disappoint.

As for my question, which you need not have answered, I was thinking more on the lines of whether or not you were an inquisitive child.

DaveO said...

SG,

Let's just say I spent a lot of time in "time out."

Spockgirl said...

D:
There wasn't such a thing as a "time out" when I was a kid, as far as I can recall.

DaveO said...

That's prolly because you were always the pretty pretty princess who did no wrong.

I, on the other, was none of those.

Spockgirl said...

D:
Snorfle...

Nope... not I...

Spockgirl said...

... oh... except the "who did no wrong" part.