Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, August 25, 2011

Champagne Thursday...


Well... technically it would be "Sparkling Wine", not Champagne. I had been holding off on splurging on either Vodka coolers or a bottle of wine, but today, perhaps the hottest day of summer yet, I just went for it. The added value was that the Liquor Store is air-conditioned. Anyways, I decided on a cheap German sparkling wine... a Henkell Rose. I'm not really a wine drinker, so I tend to prefer the sweet wines over the dry... and the bubblier the better. This was labelled Sweetness Code "01" so it would be more on the dry side, but I wanted something light and easy, so this seemed suitable. 

Beautiful blush tone with persistent effervescence both in the glass and on the palate. Not quite to my taste, but not that bad for less than $15. Several years ago I discovered what I deem to be a great inexpensive German White Wine... a Langenbach Kabinett, which at the time cost a whopping $7.45. Cheap... yes... but better to me that a lot of the $30 bottles out there. I know absolutely nothing in particular about the quality of wine, just what I happen to like. I also keep an open mind, knowing that just because something costs more does not mean that it is inherently better.

Hmm.... I was just thinking... I know that when I was a little kid I got to try "champagne". As far as I know, it was probably Baby Duck, a very cheap, very sweet, Canadian made sparkling wine. I don't remember it, but my mom later told me what I had said after I tasted it... that it made my tummy laugh.  Pretty close to "persistent effervescence".

No comments: