Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I stepped in it...


Earlier today I had gone for a walk and on the way home made a decision to go to Dairy Queen and pick something from the value pick section. I opted for a Hot Dog, Cheeseburger, small fries and side salad, which is the four items for $7... Pretty good deal. I haven't been grocery shopping in over three weeks now, so this was a treat, with the salad being the most valuable part of this deal. I was going to save the burger and salad for dinner, but didn't quite manage that. After the Hot Dog and fries, I decided to wrap the burger in Saran and stick it in the fridge, but I had to take a bite... or two before I did so. It was then that I realized how much bigger the bun was than the meat... nothing really new, but still, the meat was miniscule in comparison. Oh... and the mustard and ketchup... They might as well call it a Mustard burger. I ended up with Mustard and Ketchup lipstick, and was positive that some had dropped somewhere, but I couldn't tell. Anyways... after putting the salad and the rest of the burger in the fridge and going to wash my hands, I felt something on my left foot... something squishy. Gah... there was mustard on the floor... and of course I had stepped in it. So I cleaned it up, washed my hands, and then for some reason, decided to have some of the salad. What I found was a very sad, sad salad... loose, half-filled with golden tinged, slightly slimy lettuce, a couple thinnly sliced carrots and radishes and the last thing I put in my mouth... what used to be a chunk of tomato, but had the texture of rotten watermelon. Needless to say, I spit it out and threw the rest in the garbage. But, at least I am still chuckling about it.

Dairy Queen had been owned and run by the same family since I was a kid. The last time I went, there were new owners, and the portions were smaller, but that didn't stop me from going again. Even after today's bit, I will probably still go again. I can't get that mushy tomato out of my head though.

7 comments:

DaveO said...

This is twice you've used "Gah." Is it truly the wrinkled-forehead inducing gasp of disgust I think it be?

I prefer gorpburgers. Large, slimey with native juices, and replete with the necessity for wearing a painter's smock. Nothing beats a gorpburger :)

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
"Gah" is like "agh", but with a greater degree of disgust.

And I am not even going to ask about the second part of your comment.

Spockgirl said...

... or a greater degree of disbelief.

DaveO said...

Gorpburger:

Ground round
1 egg
onion
bell peppers
cracked or ground black pepper
chipotle

Squoosh together in a mixing bowl, then form into an approximation of a patty, and BBQ (grill).

serve between hamburger buns, with appropriate condiments.

Gorp is the sound made during ingestion.

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
Yes... I didn't ask, but no... you answered anyways. Actually that sounds pretty tasty. I particularly like the "squoosh" factor.

DaveO said...

Perfect for Canada Day BBQ, IMO :)

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
BBQ sounds good. Funny that I bought hot dogs and ground beef, but I wasn't even thinking about firing up the ole son of a Hibachi.