Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, November 22, 2010

Underlying complexities...


A recent telephone conversation went something like this:

"Hey... I just made a double chocolate tart... and I was wondering if you wanted to try it."
Split second dumbfounded pause on my part.
"Uh.... hello, did you think I would say no?"

We discussed the recipe, texture, taste, etc., and a short while later she brought a piece over.
"Do you have a fork? "
"Yeah, but wait, I've got to get a picture of it, it looks great."
"Hurry up."
"Wait, I have to plate it first." (Looking around for a pretty plate of some sort.)


Got a couple pictures, but of course, they didn't turn out very well. Took a taste. Nice... Smooth dark chocolate with a texture somewhere between pudding and a souffle, cradled by a crisp chocolate wafer crumb crust and garnished with a couple huge blackberries. I didn't eat the whole thing all at once... That is how chocolatey it was.

A few hours later, I took a few more bites and finished it. Finished is an understatement.  The flavours and texture had time to round out, to blend, to meld. It was by then, super silky smooth on the tongue, set off with the buttery chocolate crispy goodness of the crumb crust and the sweet tartness of the juicy ripe blackberries.

There are some things that sometimes you have to be patient and wait a little longer in order to fully enjoy and appreciate their underlying complexities. This was one of them.

6 comments:

T1G said...

I am a dark chocolate FREAK... and just looking at this pic makes me jones. Sounds awesome...

Spockgirl said...

T1G:
I am so glad someone commented on this post.

It is hard to believe there are actually people who do NOT like chocolate at all, let alone DARK chocolate. Wimps, I say!

Big Sister said...

FYI: I’m not giving up that recipe even under torture. Ha! It was a kitchen-science-experiment-art-project-turned-creation. Next time....with raspberries!

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis: Um... hey old lady... did you forget that you made another one SINCE that post? and it did have raspberries on it?

Big Sister said...

Old age....Phooey.
Chomh sean leis an cheo agus níos sine faoi dhó...

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis:
Uh.. took you a while to come up with that come-back... like eight days! Gimme a break. Are you also ethereal, translucent and transparent as the mist?