Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, November 5, 2010

Forget Me Not

by George Pirie (Scottish-Canadian poet b. 1799) 
This little flower with azure eye,
You love it lady tell me why;
It seems to me nor rich nor rare,
It breathes no fragrance on the air,
Nor splendid form nor colours bright,
May give it value in thy sight.
If not for perfume nor for show,
Pray tell me why you prize it so.

It is not rich, it is not rare,
This little flower – yet, ah, how fair.
Though it no merit else may claim
But this, “the magic of a name,”
Each tiny leaf into my ear
Is breathing names to memory dear;
The dead, the absent, the forgot,
Are whisp’ring here, “Forget-me-not.”

by George Pirie


*****
To honour the fallen in Afghanistan from the last five days:
Maine, Illi, Mass, NC, Cali (2), NJ, Md, Tex and U.K.
*****


Forget me nots are very tiny, plain, but pretty, pale blue or pale pink flowers with yellow centres. I was very pleased to find that this year I had both colours in the garden. They are a symbol of hope, true love and remembrance.

Folklore:
In 15th-century Germany, it was supposed that the wearers of the flower would not be forgotten by their lovers. Legend has it that in medieval times, a knight and his lady were walking along the side of a river. He picked a posy of flowers, but because of the weight of his armour he fell into the river. As he was drowning he threw the posy to his loved one and shouted "Forget-me-not." It was often worn by ladies as a sign of faithfulness and enduring love.
(from Wikipedia)

Yeah, yeah, I know, I've gone soft again. Every once in a while it just hits me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

C~ I would like your permission to repost this in full with due credit and track back on Words For Warriors. What do you say?

Spockgirl said...

K:
Now that I'm reading it again, it does seem rather sappy. It doesn't quite seem the type of thing for your blog though??? If you think it will do, what the heck, go for it.

Unknown said...

You can see the post I wrote here

http://wordsforwarriors.blogspot.com/2010/11/forget-me-not.html

Thanks for letting me repost it. YOU ROCK...

Inner Prop said...

Hey that was my birthday!

Are forget-me-nots related to poppies? The VFW sells poppies as a fundraiser.

http://www.vfw.org/

Spockgirl said...

Up here, the Legion sells poppies to raise money. Had to double-check that, because I just know it as "the Legion". It is officially the Royal Canadian Legion. And I found this: "The lapel Poppies that are worn in Canada today were first made, beginning in 1922, by disabled veterans under the sponsorship of the Department of Soldiers Civil Re-establishment."

As for the Forget Me Nots: I found out recently that in the province of Newfoundland (a seemingly odd Eastern province), they also recognize the "forget me not" as a symbol of remembrance, which I think is kinda neat.

Happy B-Day... one year closer to fifty. Heh.