Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, November 22, 2010

Brain freeze?


I remember years back there was that ad campaign: "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs.", in which there was an egg and then an egg in a frying pan. My question is this: What excuse do I have?

The temperature was -8, windchill: -17, with gusts of 45 kph. I had to get ready to go to my obligatory sporting activity, so I had to pull the winterboots and jacket out, then find the toque and scarf and gloves that I had just worn this morning. The power flickered a couple times. I was running late, but it only takes a few minutes to get there, even at a very leisurely pace. I headed out the door whilst running through the checklist in my head... keys, phone, bag, racquet. The checklist is a necessity these days.

The wind was biting, so I was glad that I had bundled up. As I got closer I could see that there were no cars in the parking lot. Odd. When I got to the door, all the lights were off. Hmm... Wasn't a snow day. On the way back home, as my eyelashes were just starting to crystallize, I remembered.... there was no school today, so the custodians wouldn't be there, and we wouldn't have access to the gym. So, there I was, this black garbed ninja eskimo with freezing eyelashes, walking in the dark. I thought to myself, at least the wind is at my back.

So what happened to my brain in the last  three years? This high-powered, high-capacity, number crunching machine is no longer the same. For whatever reason, what I was aware of five days ago... vanished.  There's that old adage: "If you don't use it, you lose it."  I would have to agree. I have no set theory on the memory issue, but I do have many thoughts on it. I just hope that I can remember those thoughts by the time I am ready to write about it.

No comments: