Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, March 15, 2012

Close your eyes...

and sink your teeth into this:


Big sis came to the door yesterday with a package of steak wrapped in brown butcher's paper. I almost internally combusted when I looked at the label. She said it was an early birthday present. Zoinks! Thank you!

Unable to describe it. I cooked it in butter on an old cast iron pan, with hot pepper flakes and a bit of freshly ground sea salt. As it was sizzling away, I could almost taste it. When it was at an appropriate stage of readiness and I put it gently to rest on the plate for a bit, I was almost salivating. As I was slicing, thinly, diagonally, slowly into its soft, tender, moist...  I was almost drooling. That first bite? I almost died. It almost melted in my mouth, or I almost melted into the floor. However, I had to cook it a little bit more. It was a damn fine piece of meat. And... no, I didn't eat the whole thing.

Today, I couldn't remember the full name of the cut, so I went and checked. I just about had a heart attack when I noticed the price was $10 more per kilogram than I had thought I read on it yesterday. Had to use the calculator to do some figuring. Anyways... it was an 11 oz New York Striploin Grilling Steak that cost $8.54. It doesn't look that expensive when you see it written down like that, but if you do the backwards math in order to see the price per kg that I saw? Zoinks.

 

No comments: