Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, January 6, 2012

A cheap date...

Item #1

Item #2


Item #3



Hmm...  so I opened a bottle of sparkling Italian wine on New Years Eve. I've had the bottle for a few years, just sitting in the kitchen. I poured some just before the stroke of midnight and as I was sitting down, before I drank any of it, some splooshed out of the glass and onto my arm and/or hand. So... I ended up drinking one half of a flute. I have not yet finished the bottle and soon it will begin to lose some of its effervescence. Now... it is not the cheapest bottle of sparkling wine or champagne that you can buy, but it is less than $20, so to my tastes, it is the best choice out there for someone who likes things more on the sweet side. This then got me to thinking about a cheap date, not just considering my penchant for items off of McDonald's Value Pick menu.

So far, I have had this beverage blissfully on its own as well as conjoined with Ocean Spray Cranberry Cocktail. One evening I had a party for one with one glass as well as two slices of marble cheese with ritz crackers. It was absolutely delicious.

Cheap Date? Let's calculate:

Il Moscato $18.00. Portion per date $3.00 or more depending...

Kraft Marble Cheese $8.00. Portion per date, less than $1.00.

Ritz Crackers $2.50 on sale. Portion per date, less than $0.50.


Actually doing the math right now, it would appear that this is about on par with a Value Meal from McDonalds.

(Update: The bottle is now empty.)

5 comments:

DaveO said...

Geez you're high maintenance!

All prices in US $:

Bottled water: $1
Walmart sliced cheese: $1.75
Empty box of triscuits found in the dumpster: $0
(unless you cut yourself, then it's $100 for a shot)

Speaking of cheap, going to the V tonight - beer is $1 a mug :D

Spockgirl said...

Hahahah... I said "cheap date" not "dumpster date".

Tap water: Free (and drinkable)

No Walmart in this town.

I do have a box of Triscuit thins in the cupboard... but... I suppose I could have called this post "Puttin on the ritz" instead.

"V" would be like the Legion? Never had a mug of beer in my life ... except maybe Root Beer. But either way $1 sounds pretty damn cheap.

DaveO said...

Didn't go to the V... as in Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).

Cheap date, dumpster day, if the metric is money, might as well as go to the extreme :)

Harvey said...

Are Viva Puffs expensive? Because I could be had for a package of those...

Spockgirl said...

Harvey:
No they aren't. I think the postage would cost more. Funny though, I was actually thinking of tucking a box of them into my luggage next time I headed down to Wisconsin.