Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, November 5, 2011

What next?


My furnace was working. It had kicked in a couple times when the weather had started to get a little colder. Then it stopped working. It has happened before a couple times in previous years and one of the two heating "professionals" was able to get it working, but admitted that he didn't know the actual problem.  So this time, I contacted a building contractor that used to live here and asked if they could recommend someone who dealt particularly with furnace repairs and maintenance. I was provided with the company name, phone number and even the name of the woman who would probably answer the phone. I called, gave her my information and I got a call back later that day. I let her know that it would be fine if someone came when they had another call in the area, rather than making a special trip out. So on Wednesday I got a call from the repair guy wondering where the house was. He was in town. He had just driven right by. I thought someone was going to let me know ahead of time when he'd be here, but, I was just glad that I was home. We went down to the basement, he worked his magic, replaced the critical part, and the filter, which had become choked with dustbunny afterbirth since the last time I had checked it.

He was a good-looking young(er) dude, polite, and ... married. Damn. I know his father-in-law. Sort of makes me feel old(er).

So. The reason for this post isn't to do with the furnace, but today... I went to turn on the oven... and ... it isn't working. I was speechless. What next? What else can go wrong? I had held off getting the furnace repaired for as long as I could, saving a bit of money on the gas bill and the repair. Now this? On top of everything else that is not working out in my life. I actually almost cried.  But at least I could still use the stove to boil water.


No comments: