Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, December 4, 2010

Linkin Park


I have to applaud Linkin Park for trying something new for a change. Their album "A Thousand Suns" is a fairly big departure from what they have done in the past. It is definitely different. When "Hybrid Theory" came out in 2000, I was sold on them, but wondered if they would be able to advance any further with their particular style. They were able to maintain what they had done, but they relied heavily on re-working it, not evolving, and then sort of ended up plain mainstream. Now I can't compare Linkin Park to Korn, Metallica or the Deftones, but, like these bands did in their own time, this is an experimental collage, and it will be interesting to see what they can come up with if they hang around for a few more years.

Something about this song "Waiting for the End" struck me. The words definitely, but there is something else I can't quite place. The song itself... the percussive element is simple, but there are... textures. If you take a listen, you have to go beyond the first 45 seconds.



After listening to the entire CD a few times, I think the music panders to my pre-metal self... but speaks to the present.

No comments: