Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pink and orange .... rice?


Way, way back in high school, a friend introduced me to this amazing dish, easy to make and surprisingly delicious. All you needed was cooked rice, canned tuna and a Kraft processed cheese slice. Throw the first two into a bowl, stir them up, put the cheese on top and nuke it or broil it and that was it. Never much had it during the past twenty years or so, but have revisited it as of late, albeit with some modifications. The tuna gets mixed with Miracle Whip first, so that you can use part of it for the rice dish and part of it for a sandwich. I have since added chopped onion to the mix as well for a bit of texture and added flavour, and the Kraft cheese slice has been replaced by grated Tex Mex Cheese. I had it for lunch and it was yummy... Perhaps the enjoyment comes more from the comfort of it, but I think it still tastes pretty darn good.

Anyways...  I'm running low on canned tuna, so I didn't want to open another can, and decided to just wing it. I had the small jar of pickled beet brine leftover to which I had added some sliced onions ... the part of pickled beets that I liked. (On a side note, I had also added hard boiled egg which yielded a lovely purple hue of egg for Easter weekend.) So tonight, I mixed rice with Miracle Whip, a dollop of Bacon Ranch dressing, some of the purpleified onions, the shredded Tex Mex cheese and some hot pepper flakes. Stirred everything up and nuked it for a minute fifty-five, and ended up with pink and orange rice. Needless to say, it was sort of lacking in the taste department, but... it looked real pretty.

No comments: