Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, July 15, 2012

Water water everywhere...


A strange looking word neglect is. It came to mind today when I realized that we have had ten straight days of hot dry weather but that I haven't yet once watered any part of the garden. (I don't water the yard.) It rather shocked me. But then... if you think about it, neglect pairs well with a plate of "what's the point" and a dash of "why bother". Goes without saying that if you don't do a load of dishes for a week or two, what would happen to your garden? Out of mind out of sight, right? The thing is... that I have been out in the garden and looked right at it and touched parts of it, so why would I forget such a thing? I have come to the conclusion that it is due to the domino effect of neglect. It started off with life, the spirit, the mind, the body, then the soul... I knew that I was neglecting other parts of the yard and garden, but I didn't remember that it all needed water regardless of that other neglect. But then... I often forget to drink water myself. Forget... or not bother? Neglect.

What happens after neglect? Things fall apart. Technically things may have been falling apart before the actual neglect took effect. Things go from functioning efficiently to moderately to marginally to not functioning at all. Do you desperately cling to that one thing which seems to keep you afloat? What if you are in rough seas and in need of a lifebuoy but all you have is a set of waterwings? Treading water but you're losing consciousness and your arms and legs have gone numb? What then? Sink or swim. It's a no-brainer. But... what if you can't see the shoreline? What direction do you head in? I'm getting sleepy, I'm just going to close my eyes for a moment...

3 comments:

thormoo said...

A thought provoking post...it took quite a bit of intellectual gymnastics to work my way through to the end. Oh and that ending sure got MY attention...the last sentence: "I'm getting sleepy, I'm just going to close my eyes for a moment..." Those were the exact words chosen by me to be the very last word from me EVER on this planet...I closed my suicide note to my family with them...

They weren't of course..obviously, thank God but it sure was spooky reading them here.

Spockgirl said...

So your response to this could have been:
Hmm...
Huh?
Hmmm...
What?
Hey... wait a minute!

First part literal. Second part metaphor. The ending was a blending. It was exactly how I was feeling, but also a perfect ending, and a good way to end it. Glad they weren't your lasr words.

Spockgirl said...

Oh... and... holy crap.

(I was just thinking that anyone who might happen to read this post and your comment and my reply without knowing any backstory, would definitely take my response to be flippant, which I assure you is not.)