Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What the heck is Googlebot?


In the last few months, Sitemeter indicated that I was receiving visits by Googlebot.com. At first it was pretty random, so I didn't bother to find out exactly what it was, and just figured it for an automated surfing program of some sort. I have noticed two different IP addresses, and that sometimes there is one pageview and other times, several, wherein the visit can last as long as twenty minutes or more. I wasn't planning on writing about this, except for the interesting fact that I now get more vists from Googlebot than I do from real people. Anyways, I did end up Googling Googlebot just out of curiosity. I still think it is weird considering the randomosity of my blog content.


Another interesting thing that I have noticed, is that Blogger Stats picks up pageviews and traffic sources that do not appear in Sitemeter and I am wondering if the lengthy or frequent Googlebot visits are interfering with Sitemeter's tracking. Oh well.. whatever.

No comments: