Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, September 12, 2011

That one tomato...


Last week I was delivered of some fruits and such from the little roadside stand that we used to visit every summer when we were kids. Apparently it is now run by the great grandson of the original proprietors, which is rare these days, and very cool. The other day I went a googling, and found a video for that same little fruit stand.  

For a change, I set the fruits in a bowl on the kitchen table, instead of just tossing them in the fridge drawer.


Today, I tried the massive Beefsteak Tomato, and what can I say... it was delicious. I toasted a big hamburger bun, buttered it, slathered on some Miracle Whip, added a very thick slice of the tomato, some Kraft Bacon Ranch Dip and baby spinach. Honestly, it was on par with the pleasure of eating an actual hamburger... it was that good. Juicy, tasty, hanging out the edges of the bun, with just the right amount of tanginess. Frankly, the tomatoes you get at the grocery store are nothing compared to this.

The other thing I threw together, just to see how it would be, was chopped tomato, red peppers and red grapes, tossed with some Kraft Greek Feta and Oregano dressing and Garlic Tabasco Sauce. Not bad... not bad at all.  The touch of sweetness from the red grapes was a great foil for the dressing. 

The great thing about that one tomato is that it is big enough for two meals, maybe even three.

4 comments:

DaveO said...

drooling...

Spockgirl said...

D:
Yup... it was THAT good.

Jeanie said...

I really think you should write a food book of some sort. Every time you write something about food I get hungry!

Spockgirl said...

Hey Jeanie, I was just thinking about you the other day!!! Yeah, I get hungry after I've written the food posts too. I had one of the peaches today, so that should be next.