Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, September 16, 2011

Chocolate and Wasabi...


When I was younger and could eat whatever I wanted, one of my favouritest things was cashews and a glass of ice cold orange juice. I very rarely buy cashews or orange juice nowadays, but ... oh... I remember how good they were together.

Anyways...  earlier this evening, I was trying to figure out something I could make for a snack, eschewing more labour intensive endeavours that would require mixing and baking and waiting, and I was struck with an inspiration. In the cupboard, I knew there was a container of Wasabi Cashews, which may have been in there for over five years by now. On the counter, I have a stack of Baker's Chocolate that needs to be used up. Let's just say that I had them in the cupboard for over five years as well and had moved them to the counter about two years ago, with the intent of making a chocolate cheesecake or something which I could experiment on. That didn't quite pan out.  So... what I decided to do was place one square of semi-sweet chocolate and one of unsweetened into a small bowl, nuke it for a minute thirty, stir it up, dump in some of the cashews, coat them and drop them individually onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  With the small bit of chocolate remaining in the bowl, I added a wee handful of cashews, and ate them as is...  The bonus?  I even got to lick the spoon. The leftover chocolate was infused with the wasabi coating that had rubbed off the cashews. It was yummy.

After a couple hours, I snuck into the fridge, a couple times, and had a few of the chilled chocolate covered, crunchy coated cashewy wonders.


2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Yikes ~ you might want to keep an eye on the "expiration" dates ~ just sayin'

Spockgirl said...

Jeanie:
Heheheh... Totally aware of the best before dates. There are certain things that are acceptable to still consume after those dates and certain things that aren't. I just push the limit... a little.