Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, April 12, 2014

Rediscovery...


Yesterday I rediscovered why I did not like seafood when I was a little kid.

One word....

Anchovies.

I've never had them before. 

It doesn't matter how thin you slice them or how much you smother them in salt and spicy Korean goodness. It doesn't matter. It is that distinct, intense, fishness that threw me off then, and anchovies are... well... the epitome of fishness.

The funny thing is that I remember liking the taste of dried squid. It came in a small plastic candy-sized bag. It was salty, but not too salty, a little bit chewy, and rather stringy. But... it wasn't too... fishy, for lack of a better word. This was brought back to mind yesterday as well. The nice Korean lady who owns the Japanese restaurant always gives us extra things to try, like homemade Kimchi, sliced sesame fishcake things, and variety of sweet-savoury smelly Korean pickles. One of the first small dishes she brought out was... squid... Like the dried squid I remember, soaked in a sweet and salty sauce... and it was good. The second dish was the aforementioned anchovies, a little deceiving as it looked almost the same. Gah!

No comments: