Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, April 7, 2014

Gifts

 
I met my new nephew for the first time yesterday. He is almost nine months old. It has been a long time since I have been that kind of happy holding a baby.

***

I received a treasure last night. Some personal belongings and family pictures which I did not know existed. She had even kept a couple notes that I had written her when I was a kid. With those notes, was... a Christmas card... that she had written to me before she died, but had not sent. There was also a card with a message from another aunt who I have not seen in probably over ten years now. Gifts. Gifts with tears.

***

So tonight, again, questioning my existence, I reflect on these gifts, and wrote this.

Black and white pictures
Memories hidden away
Trickling from a box
Who are these people
Trapped in time and tucked away
Waiting to be found
Vaguely familiar
Yet images of strangers
Perhaps I know them
Is that my mother
I do not recognize her
From a time long past
I want to know them
What place in our family
Fading history
cki7Apr2014

No comments: