Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, May 17, 2010

Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter


So I just finished reading "Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter", and have to say that it sounded like a ridiculously good story. So it was, and a quick read to boot. I would call it brilliantly absurd, or absurdly brilliant, but I can't quite figure out which one. It was a treat to see the names of historical figures that I recognized, and found myself wandering off on tangents, relating to some other historical figures from the Civil War that I had become familiar with, tied to those mentioned in the book. I acknowledge that throughout history, in literature and religious material, there can be found text and sub-text deemed to be regarding vampires, but this yarn weaves them seamlessly in, grabs you in your peripheral vision and makes you look sideways. My only issue with the story was the ending being a tad flippant in its treatment of Abe and Henry. It should have been saved for an alternate or teaser ending on the movie that will inevitably come out.

2 comments:

DaveO said...

Loved this book! And the photoshopped pics, such as of the picture showing the skulls stacked for burial, edited to show teeth. Just awesome!

I may have to read his other book, Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, or was it Jane Eyre and Zombies.

So long as the style doesn't take after Hardy... drive a stake through my heart if I ever have to read Hardy again...

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
I thought it was a great read. My thing is that if I'm going to make my tired old eyes even more tired by reading, the book better be damn entertaining. I agree about the photos... I also liked the ones with sunglasses... After Halloween last year, I was thinking... I should have done that.

I recall hearing something about Pride, Prejudice and Zombies, but didn't go a-looking for it.