Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The hilarity of life...


So much for my attempt to restart blogging on a regular basis. My laptop, showing significant signs of its own downward spiral, finally completely gave out. Hence, not much interest in typing blogposts on the backup tablet. Even though I have a bluetooth keyboard, it just doesn't feel quite right, to me as a typist. (Although I am getting more used to it as I spend more time with the small layout.)

And on a similar and hilarious note, after the laptop died, later that day I figured that I might as well rely on the old technology that I still had available... my old Toshiba VCR which I have probably had for over ten years. Enjoying Silverado (man Kevin Costner was young), and the great ensemble cast, when suddenly there was static and the machine shut off by itself. I checked everything out and found that it had eaten part of the tape. I carefully pulled it out, and rewound it on the spool, then foolishly tried unplugging the VCR and trying it again, once with the same tape and one more time with a different one. Wishful thinking I suppose, as the outcome was the same. The prognosis final. The VCR had died, the very same day as the laptop.

March marched in and the hilarity of life ensued. The microwave started making an odd overworked louder whirring sound. The liquid was cold. I tried it a few times. I even foolhardily unplugged and plugged back in. I knew it wouldn't work, but I just had to try it. All I can say is that all the appliances were bought at the same time, almost fifteen years ago, so I knew this time would come. I just wasn't really expecting time to pass this quickly.

2 comments:

Paul S said...

Bad news comes in threes. That's a bummer about your VHS player. Did you manage to watch Addicted to Love one last time before it breathed its last?

Spockgirl said...

The last stack of movies I had watched on the VCR were IQ, Sleepless in Seattle, Mixed Nuts, While You Were Sleeping, and You've Got Mail.The VCR has been ejected from the room, but the tapes are still sitting there forlornly. I now believe that that machine was actually over 14 years old, as I am quite sure I had it before I moved into the place I am now. It had a good run.